Many people are wondering how to use an instant pot as a slow cooker. This process is not straightforward at a first glance. But, Yes, off course an Instant Pot can be used as a slow cooker without any problem!
In fact, one of the Instant Pot purposes is to be used as a slow cooker. Even though the Instant Pot is used as a pressure cooker, it can also be used as a slow cooker if you know what your ard doing.
This article help you in finding out what you need to turn your instant pot as a slow cooker and benefit from all its advantages!
Hitting the instant Pot Slow Cooker function only will not cook the recipe as the common slow cooker would cook it.
You must have likely bought an Instant Pot because it has many functions and combine different cooker modes. You may have imagined to rid of one of your traditional slow cooker.
Recently I used my Instant Pot as a slow cooker to see if I could indeed replace my smaller four-quart slow cooker with it. A couple of near-fails later, this is the most important thing I learned.
You must be careful since Slow Cooker function on an instant pot does not set the same temperature as a slow cooker.
If you do not notice, you may feel like your instant Pot Slow Cooker function is not working and you may consider changing it misleadingly.
The Instant Pot is a multi-functions cooker. You can set different functions, each one corresponding to a specific mode:
- pressure cooking,
- slow cooking,
- yogurt making,
- soup maker,
- saute pan,
Here is where you can find a good Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Slow Cooker
Instant pot is a very useful kitchen appliance. The Instant Pot also has three slow-cooker heat settings : less, normal, and more. However, they may not correspond to the settings on common slow cookers.
1. Instant pot slow cooker setting and tips
The different functions you have depend on the model you have. All the features are very similar between all of the models, with only the design being the sole in some circumstances.
- Never forget to put liquid in your recipes.
- Whenever you press the Slow Cooker Function on your Instant Pot, do not forget to change the setting to “high.”
Many people think experimented that the slow cooker function of their instant pot doesn’t work as expected when compared to a common slow cooker. Others people think that the duration of the cooking needs to be increased.
2. Instant pot slow cooker recipes
We recommend you to try various recipes and see the kinds of foods that can be done and the time it will take. The Instant Pot is an awesome kitchen appliance, but the slow cooker is better at its job, that is, slow cooking.
3. Instant pot slow cooker lid
The regular instant pot lid is perfect for cooking your recipes.
You must carefully read your Instant Pot instructions in order to understand what are the requirements when it comes to use the slow cooking with your Instant Pot.
The Instant pot manual will get you know notice that Instant Pot lid is the ultimate underlying secret if you want to turn your appliance into an Instant Pot slow cooker.
You can buy additional Instant Pot lid to make your slow cooking perfect. The advantage of considering a good Instant Pot lid when slow cooking is that it will make the Instant Pot airtight (i.e, it will prevent the air to pass inside and it will keep the moisture in).
Hermetic seals are essential to the correct and safe functionality of kitchen appliances in general, and Instant Pots in particular. You may need to open the valve at some moments to prevent the Instant Pot from overcooking your recipes.
4. Instant pot slow cooker pot roast
You can do a Pot roast with your Instant Pot slow cooker. An example of recipes can be found here:
- 1.5 kg of chuck roast
- 600 g of baby potatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 50 milliliters of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar –
- garlic – 8 cloves
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 2 tablespoon of plain flour
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons of dried thyme
We highly recommend to watch the following video for more. The recipes above comes from this video (in the description).
5. Instant pot slow cooker temperature
It is interesting to catch why the Instant Pot sometimes has hard time to cook your meal as a slow cooker.
While both appliances generate heat, an Instant Pot heats from the bottom and the material used differs from the one used with the slow cooker. The heat generated from the steam in the pot helps during the cooking.
This causes issues for slow cooking. Slow cookers have a more distributed heating. Even though the the pot heats from the bottom, the sides heat up and the heating energy is evenly propagated in all sides.
The Instant Pot is a great pressure cooker, however, it was meant to be a slow cooker. Crock Pots are far better when it comes to using a long duration cooking. The ceramic of the Instant Pot it too thin to keep the heat for a long time.
6. Turning an instant pot into a slow cooker instructions
Slow cookers have three well known heating level : Low, High, and Warm. Setting the cooker to the low level will let you cook your recipes for more than 9 hours. The results is that your meal will be tasty and yummy and you will be happy that you waited for it. You won’t regret it !
These are some instructions you need to follow if you want to turn your Instant Pot into a slow cooker.
- If you just hit the slow cooker function on an Instant Pot and let it as is, you may have set the function that correspond to the keep warm function of a traditional slow cooker.
- Setting Low on the Instant Pot Slow Cooker Function is similar to the recipe warm using a common slow cooker (its Low setting is about 190° to 200° degrees).
- Setting Medium on the Instant Pot Slow Cooker Function corresponds to setting Low on a common slow cooker.
- And setting High on the Instant Pot Function is similar to setting medium on a common slow cooker (The high setting is about 225°-275°). The High level will let you cook your recipes in about 3 hours to 4 hours. This way, you can the meal four hours before the moment of the day you want to eat your meal.
- The Low setting of a slow cooker function on an instant pot is about 170° and the high setting is 210°.
7. Instant Pot Vs Slow Cooker
If you want to cook your recipes fast, you must used an Instant Pot. It is very amazing at cooking your recipes very fast. You can add all your recipes inside the instant Pot, and you will get you meal ready in about one hour.
On the other hand, a slow cooker uses a different scenario. It takes more time to cook your meals. You could count between 4 hours to 10 hours to cook your recipes.
While the Instant Pot and the slow cooker follow basically different approaches, there is a slow cooker mode in an Instant Pot and you can cook as you like it.
Why do people love Instant Pot?
Most people love Instant Pot because of its cooking setting. Seeing how quickly it is to see your meals ready is truly amazing. Cooking with an Instant Pot is very fast (about an hour).
What are the difference when recipes are cooked with an Instant vs a slow cooker?
The results you get when using with a slow cooker or setting Instant Pot slow cooking mode are not the same. Many people have noticed it. This is why we recommend not to get rid of your traditional slow cooker yet.
Which quantity of liquid do we need in an instant Pot ?
Instant Pot always need some liquid inside to work. Since the lid of the Instant Pot is tightly sealed, the liquid will not evaporate during the cooking which is the case for the slow cooker.
A step by step guide to use an Instant Pot as a slow cooker
- 1.Prepare the recipes Prepare the recipes for slow cooking and add it in the Instant Pot.
- 2.Add a cup of liquid Never forget to add a cup of liquid in the pot.
- 3.Close the Instant Pot lid Check if the Instant Pot lid is tightly sealed after you’ve closed it.
- 4.Press the Slow Cook button Put the Instant Pot into slow cooking mode
- 5.Adjust Press the Adjust button to set the cooking to Normal ( or High). Read the instructions above.
- 6.Handle the cooking duration Set the cooking time and wait for it to finish.